Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Christmas returns = sweet deals

Ah, January, the month of returns.  I don't know that for sure, but it sure seems like it for me.  It never fails that something I buy someone for Christmas doesn't work out or something I have received doesn't work.  I don't think anyone likes to take returns back into stores because you always end up spending more money than what you return.  That is a trick that the store uses to their advantage.  Trust me!  I've spent my fair share of years working retail to know that stores know you will spend more in the store when you bring a return in.  How many times have you walked into a store just to make a return and end up making a purchase too?  See...it's a nasty little trick.  Well, I'm here to prove that this little trick isn't always a bad thing.

Case in point: My trip to Ross today to make a return.  Unfortunately, two tops my mom purchased for me for Christmas didn't work out.  I went back to Ross to return them and received an in-store credit for $21.78.  Now, I did what you aren't supposed to do to save money, I walked around the store 'just looking' and told myself the lie we all do, 'Well I do have money to spend and it's not really like I'm using my own cash because it was a return.'  Riiiiight.

I ended up in the clearance clothing section, because being the thrifty gal I am, I hit up the clearance section first (even in stores like Ross).  I found some awesome deals...like under $3 for pants!  I tried on a few pairs that were on clearance for $2.49!  Crazy right?  It was fate I tell you!  I also hit up the clearance dresses and found more awesome deals.  The store had a good selection of clearance items, but you had to dig a little.  I ended up returning two items and walking out with four.

This cute black and white dress has a few pops of lime green (how fun!) and it was only $4.99!  I also ended up with three pairs of black pants- a pair of black jeans for only $2.49!!!  A pair of black skinny legging type pants for only $5.49!  And a pair of black slacks for $10.99!  

I ended up only paying $4.46 out of my own pocket (half of that was for tax).  Pretty sweet if you ask me.  January is a good month for finding clearance items.  It's the time of the year when stores do mass markdowns after Christmas.  Also, it's a slow time for retail which means the stores are usually less crowded, a little cleaner, and in a transition period between winter and spring which equals goodies for you!    
So, I did end up spending money while making my return, but I think it was worth it.  2 tops VS. 3 pairs of pants and a dress?  I'll say this one evened out. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment